Spark plugs are a crucial component of your engine's ignition system and must be replaced. The spark plugs work effectively and efficiently for long periods but rust over time. As the spark plug wires corrode, they cause short circuits that may damage your engine over time. A clean, properly functioning spark plug wire will also help prevent this from happening! Spark plugs are a primary means of ignition in your car's engine and, therefore, responsible for firing the air/fuel mixture into your engine and lighting it up with an electric spark.
So, spark plugs are essential, but how often should you change them? Let's find out:
Why Do You Need To Change Your Spark Plugs?
A good rule of thumb is to replace your spark plugs every 30,000 miles. It is based on the fact that most cars run best with fresh fuel and new spark plugs. But there are many other reasons why you should change your spark plugs regularly:
- They can be damaged by water and moisture over time, which can lead to misfiring issues and other problems.
- The carbon buildup inside them can cause them to malfunction.
- They become dirty from oil deposits.
When To Change Spark Plugs
Spark plugs should be changed when the engine is cold and when they are dirty. They also need to be replaced when worn out, which will cause a loss in fuel efficiency and power. Besides, replacing your spark plugs depends on several factors, such as mileage and driving habits, as well as maintenance schedules for other parts of your vehicle. However, it's recommended that you replace them every 30,000 miles.
The Benefits of Changing Your Spark Plugs
The benefits of changing your spark plugs are numerous, but here are the most important ones:
- You get to hear your engine run longer and more smoothly than if it's not running at its best.
- Creation of ideal combustion consistently. Spark plugs support a functional combustion system in good working order.
- Improved fuel efficiency.
- Smooth and powerful start.
- Fewer toxic emissions.
Changing spark plugs is not difficult, but it does take some time. However, you don't have to struggle alone. If you need spark plug replacement, give H-Tek Auto Care a visit or call today!